RE: secure sign & encrypt

2002-06-10 11:25:13

john(_dot_)dlugosz(_at_)kodak(_dot_)com wrote:

Emails are the only thing where we might have missing context
information.
In an informal note typed by a person, it might assume the
conversation in
progress.  But what contract or other formal document doesn't list the
parties as part of the document content?  And what does "intended
recipient" mean for things that are not messages sent to somebody?

Everything that is "signed & encrypted" has a list of recipients that it
is encrypted to. This list of recipients is included in the protocol. That
is why I mean the protection of this information by signing it also belongs
in
the protocol.

If an application wants to automatically add context
information before
signing, without messing up the document proper, then a
general purpose
"extra information" field is needed, since "TO:" is just a
special case of
this general problem.  And I think it's been said that a
suitable field
already exists.

I think you have completely missed my point here. Please read what
I wrote once again. I am making an argument for that this is NOT
a kind of general "extra information", it is information that already
are included as a part of the protocol. And a proper standard for how
to duplicate this information inside the signed part of the message
should also be a part of the standard, so that this can be done in the
same way by all applications that uses this standard. Is this to much
to ask?

Terje Braaten <Terje(_dot_)Braaten(_at_)concept(_dot_)fr>@mail.imc.org on
05-30-2002
12:38:22 AM

Sent by:    owner-ietf-openpgp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org