Re: RFC: DSA key lengths; Elgamal type 16 v. type 20

2002-08-25 05:37:50

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:47:39 -0700, Jon Callas said:

Well, there are people who believe that Elgamal signatures should be
deprecated, and were a mistake to put in the standard to begin with. I think

FWIW, the reason I implemented ElGamal for signature and encryption in
GnuPG was simply the fact that at I initially was not aware of the PGP
5 data format and there used to be claims that DSA may lead to similar
patent problems as we had with RSA.

it's better to leave it as it is and let gentle persons continue to
disagree.

I agree with Jon.  There are only 28 type 20 keys on the keyservers
and I see see no reason to promote the use of this type.  I'd like to
remove it from GnuPG but some folks more or less convinced me that
type 20 support should stay in GnuPG (in expert mode).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner