Re: meeting in San Francisco? (v3 keys // IDEA)

2003-03-07 09:38:55

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:37:08 -0800 Jon Callas <jon(_at_)callas(_dot_)org> wrote:

On 3/6/03 2:10 AM, "Werner Koch" <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> wrote:

I don't think that it is really required to deprecate v3 keys.
..
The real problem is the continued use of IDEA, especially to protect
secret keys.  A strong word that the use of IDEA is deprecated
would
be helpful.

It is my opinion that deprecating IDEA (which I would be happy to
do) is
about the same as deprecating V3 keys.

The reason I say that is that the only reason for a V3 key is to
interoperate with PGP 2.6. PGP 2.6 has only IDEA.

many remailers use Disasty's multi version of pgp 2.6,
which accepts all algorithms and hashes,
but still requires a v3 key for the encryption,
and is quite compatible with GnuPG, even without IDEA,
except that, as WK says, someone importing a v3 key into GnuPG still needs IDEA
to unlock the secret key.

Disastry's multi version of 2.6, allows v3 keys to be generated easily,
that don't require IDEA

'deprecation'of IDEA, to point out that there are other 'advanced and better /
patent-free' ways to do things, but still allow v3 keys to be used, seems more
tolerant, and allows compatibility, even if inconvenient.

with Respect,

vedaal

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program: