SHOULD -> MAY (Re: Further deprecating PGP2)

2003-03-09 15:13:48

On Sunday, Mar 9, 2003, at 12:37 US/Eastern, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 07:07:18PM +1300, Peter Gutmann wrote:

Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> writes:

Implementing IDEA is trivial but as it is now, it is not possible to use any
software without paying royalities to Ascom.

I've been using it for years without paying royalties to Ascom, and so has most of the rest of the PGP-using world. It's only if you're selling it for
more than $10K (from memory) that you need to talk to Ascom.

        Actually, it's far worse that this.  I exchanged some E-Mail with
Richard Strab, the CEO of MediaCrypt, (the license vendor for Ascom) and he made it quite clear that their definition of "commercial users" included any and all non-profit organizations and anyone who was not using it for personal individual use (and even personal use was not acceptable if you
were using it to communication with a "commercial" entity, even if that
entity was a non-profit professional organization or your church or your school). If you root around MediaCrypt's site you eventually find their
draconian definition of what they feel constitutes commercial and
non-commercial and, for the life of me, I can't find much that they
CAN'T construe to be commercial and demand royalties. You end up looking
for a really tiny needle (non-commercial) in a really broad and hazy
haystack (commercial).

        From what I understand exchanging mail with some of my professional
counterparts at some universities, a number of universities already have blanket licenses negotiated and paid for. Their use is covered, NOT because it's non-commercial but, because they already paid for their organization's
license.

Thanks for the information. This was my understanding too. All of the non-exempt entities listed above will have to pay money to read IDEA-encrypted OpenPGP messages. Or, in fact to interoperate with PGP2 applications in general IIANM.

As it stands, OpenPGP implementors are urged[*] to support this outdated and non-royalty-free message format. Yet nobody should be urged to perpetuate patent encumbered software if there is a gratis (GnuPG) and fully functional (more secure even) alternative.

Getting OpenPGP adopted and used is plenty difficult enough as is. Instead of insisting that the status quo be maintained we should concentrate on removing any and all barriers to wider spread adoption. Making sure that OpenPGP is completely royalty free is one thing that helps. Removing complexity from the standard is another approach.

I want to be able to say "Send me an OpenPGP message!" *AND* be legally allowed to decrypt whatever OpenPGP message I am sent. I don't have the luxury of a university buying me a blanket license with taxpayer money. I don't have a luxury of being paid and still be considered a non-commercial entity.

Labeling support for IDEA messages RECOMMENDED[*] as is the case now sends the wrong message to implementors. Marking IDEA messages OPTIONAL[**] (with "MAY") avoids this trap. And stating that IDEA messages SHOULD NOT be sent ensures that all alternatives will be tried first before the application falls back to IDEA.

Cheers,
-J

[*] "SHOULD: This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
    carefully weighed before choosing a different course."

[**] "MAY: This word, or the adjective "OPTIONAL", mean that an item is
     truly optional..."