Re: Dash escaping consensus?

2003-03-12 08:31:09

On Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003, at 06:50 US/Eastern, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 02:42:42PM -0800, Jon Callas wrote:
What's the consensus? Any line may be dash-escaped, or only "From "? I wrote it the first way, changed it to the second, and it seems we're back to the
first.

My instinctive reaction on this is that ``An implementation MAY dash escape any line, SHOULD dash escape lines commencing "From", and MUST dash escape
any line commencing in a dash.''

This would make it nice and unambiguous, IMO.

Also ``An implementation MUST strip the string "- " if it occurs at the
beginning of a line, and SHOULD warn on "-" and any character other than
a space at the beginning of a line.''

Seconded.

-J