Location of 'key expiration time' signature subpacket

2003-07-15 10:37:00

While implementing key expiration, I noticed that the 'key expiration time' signature subpacket (#9) is put in self certification signatures instead of in (self signed) direct key signature.

Why is that?

I find it more logical to put it in a direct key signature, as it says nothing about the user id that is self signed. In fact, given multiple user id's, putting it in self certification signatures could even result in conflicting information.

Edwin