Re: RFC 3156, status of RFC 2015

2003-10-24 09:54:10

At 11:40 AM +0200 10/23/03, Alfred =?hp-roman8?B?SM5uZXM=?= wrote:
studying the [Open]PGP RFCs, I found a distracting situation
concerning the status of these RFCs:

Regarding 3156 and 2015, marking 2015 as Historic and obsoleted by 3156, and similarly, marking 3156 as obsoleting 2015 is a reasonable action. To be honest, I don't know if the IESG is required to recommend this action or if the RFC Editor can make this change at the WG's request (which I've made on behalf of the WG).

In the past, Proposed RFCs that have been superceded by later RFCs linger as Proposed indefinitely instead of becoming Historic. For the sake of clarity your suggestion of marking 2015 as Historic is a good one, which is why I've requested the change. However, the common culture in the IETF is that a Proposed RFC which is obsolete is no longer relevant, so it's status on standards track is relatively harmless.

2440 does pay homage to 1991 in its text, but because 1991 is an Informational RFC and was never standards track, there's nothing for 2440 to obsolete.

--

john noerenberg
  A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.