Removing Elgamal signatures

2003-11-29 06:15:37

Hello!

In the light of the recent GnuPG bug, where I accidently used the same
small sized k for signature creation as it is used for encrypting, I'd
very much like to drop the ElGamal signing ability all together from
OpenPGP.  AFAIK, GnuPG is the only implementation with support for
these keys and by now the about 1100 known primary and subkeys should
have been revoked.  Thus there won't be any interoperability problem
anymore.

Type 20 should thus be declared as reserved (historic use) and all
security notes for this type of key removed.

If we can't agree on that, I'd suggest to declare type 20 keys to be
Elgamal sign only - this way a new problem with this algorithm will
at least not affect the encryption use.

  Werner

--
Werner Koch                                      <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com