Re: Removing Elgamal signatures

2003-12-01 09:58:14

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 02:14:08PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:

In the light of the recent GnuPG bug, where I accidently used the same
small sized k for signature creation as it is used for encrypting, I'd
very much like to drop the ElGamal signing ability all together from
OpenPGP.  AFAIK, GnuPG is the only implementation with support for
these keys and by now the about 1100 known primary and subkeys should
have been revoked.  Thus there won't be any interoperability problem
anymore.

I agree with this.  Not too long ago, we removed a handful of unused
hash algorithms from the standard using the "less is more" rationale.
I see this as a similar case.

David