SubKey expiration

2004-02-02 19:24:14

Hi all,

When does a OpenPGP V4 subkey expire? Is it when the subkey "signature
expiration time" arrives or when the subkey "key expiration time"
arrives.

What is the need for having two expiration signature subpackets: Key
expiration time and Signature expiration time. Which of these do we read
if we want to know the date when the subkey expires? If the signature on
the subkey has expired then the key is useless and the value of the the
Key expiration time subpacket should not matter and vice versa, i.e, if
the the key expiration time is reached before the signature expiration
time then the key has expired.

So, whichever of the two validity dates arrives first, can't we expire
the key based on that?

Is this the reasoning correct?

Regards,
Hasnain.