Partial chunking question

2004-08-05 10:53:45

Hi all,

I had a question on breaking data into partial chunks. If someone can
clarify this, I'd appreciate it:

Suppose the chunk size you are using is 8192 bytes and the final data
chunk is less than 8192, say it is 6480. My chunking implementation puts
these final 6480 bytes into one non-partial length chunk so that the
chunk sequence looks like this: 8192, 8192, ... , 8192, 6480.

GPG and PGP, however, break this final data into power of two lengths,
i.e 8192, 8192, ... , 8192, 4096, 2048, 336.

My approach interoperates with both GPG and PGP. But I am curious as to
why GPG and PGP break the final data this way, rather than putting it
all in one final non-partial chunk. I hope I have not overlooked some
RFC requirements.

Regards,
Hasnain

----
The information contained in this electronic mail and any attached
document is the confidential and proprietary business information of
Forum Systems, Inc. It is intended solely for the addressed recipient
listed above. It may not be distributed in any manner without the
express written consent of Forum Systems, Inc.