Re: OpenPGP mail/news header

2005-01-16 07:14:59

On Sunday 16 January 2005 05:04 am, Simon Josefsson wrote:
Jon Callas <jon(_at_)callas(_dot_)org> writes:
* I think the other open question you have, as to whether someone wants
MIME encodings or not is much more important. At PGP, we're starting to
code that into the certificates themselves, so the encryption mechanism
can do the right thing.

I realize it is a big issue, and potentially a contentious one.

I'd hate to see disagreement on this part stop the document, though,
so if consensus on this matter cannot be reached, I think we should
simply drop it.

I would very much like to see the approach that Jon and Hal have outlined of
putting the preference in a notation packet on the key self signature be put
into the RFC, and made official.

This issue is extremely important, and the proposed solution is well thought
out, and easy to understand and implement.  Lack of guidance on this issue in
the standard has already led to unnecessary incompatibilities between mail
implementations.  Let's get that resolved with the new standard.

Regards,

  - Brian