Re: Mandatory Algorithm Changes?

2005-02-21 05:18:24

Werner Koch wrote:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:23:28 +0000, Ben Laurie said:

Oops. What I said was that this seems like a candidate for having
flags in the PGP certificates that say what is supported by the
receiving application(s).

Sorry, I don't understand this.  We do have these preferences since
the very beginning.

Sorry, not very well today, and it seems not thinking straight. So why is there an issue with compatibility?

BTW, I see that 5.2.3.7. says "It is assumed that only algorithms listed are supported by the recipient's software" but this language is not carried forward into 5.2.3.8/9. In fact 5.2.3.9 explicitly rules out indicating what exactly is supported ("...the key holder's software might have no compression software").

Cheers,

Ben.