Re: More questions and comments on rfc2440bis-12

2005-02-25 11:11:50

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 05:18:14PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:

David Shaw wrote:
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:37:19AM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:

In 5.2.1:

"0x10: Generic certification of a User ID and Public Key packet."

Does this mean that the signature is over the User ID packet and the
Public Key packet, concatenated, in that order? Or what?

5.2.1 is just an overview.  The nitty-gritty on how to make each type
is specified in 5.2.4. Computing Signatures.

Also, what on earth does:

     Note that all PGP "key signatures" are this type of
     certification.

PGP doesn't generate 0x11, 0x12, or 0x13 signatures, and when it
encounters them treats them all as if they were 0x10.

When you say "PGP" you mean, presumably, some version(s) of the software
- which? I presume modern ones do generate them all?

All versions I've ever seen, including 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8, and all
sub-versions of that list.

I see 0x11, 0x12, and 0x13 as sort of a vestigal tail in OpenPGP.
They're not really useful for much, and are pretty much ignored.
Certainly 0x12 doesn't have less validity than 0x13 in the usual
definition of the web of trust.

David