Re: Tag 11 unclear

2005-04-26 12:52:23

Ben Laurie writes regarding literal packet headers:

In 5.9:

    " - File name as a string (one-octet length, followed by file name),
        if the encrypted data should be saved as a file."

but no mention of what if it shouldn't be saved as a file. 0 length,
perhaps?

Yes, I think 0 is the right length in that case.  The language about
"if it should be saved as a file" is from the perspective of the decryptor
and is perhaps too functionally oriented.  It might be better simply to
document this as a filename which can be optionally associated with the
encrypted data.  We can recommend that decryptors MAY use this as a
default file name if the data is being saved as a file.

We might also want to note here that literal packet headers are not
signed, unless the literal packet is first wrapped in another packet
such as a compressed packet.  Only the body of a literal packet is
signed in a message which consists of sig-packet, literal-packet.
(Or sig1-packet, literal-packet, sig-packet)

Then:

    " - A four-octet number that indicates the modification date of the
        file, or the creation time of the packet, or a zero that
        indicates the present time."

I would _guess_ that it means modification date of the file if there's
a filename, the creation time if there isn't. I have no idea what zero
is supposed to mean. Nothing, would be the obvious interpretation -
"the present time" is nonsensical.

Yes, I agree, zero means simply an unspecified time.

Hal Finney