Re: Tag 11 unclear

2005-05-12 15:16:17

On 12 May 2005, at 8:49 AM, David Shaw wrote:

Isn't _CONSOLE what is used when something shouldn't be saved as a
file?  I'd say zero length just means that the sender didn't give a
file name, whether because the data doesn't have one, or because the
filename is private, or even because it just didn't want to.

No, _CONSOLE means "eyes only." Then you do whatever it is you do for eyes only.

I think the 0 option for the literal timestamp is similar - it just
means the sender didn't give a time.  The recipient can interpret that
however it likes.

Again, I think there are three options: data mod date (typically meaning its source is a file), encrypt time, and decrypt time. The encryptor picks. The decryptor has no way of knowing which of the first two was picked.

        Jon