Re: Problems with calculating signatures over keys

2005-06-07 00:06:25

Derek Atkins wrote:
Hal,

<chair hat>

hal(_at_)finney(_dot_)org ("Hal Finney") writes:

We might want to consider some "test vectors" in the RFC which work
through the process of verifying a signature.  We'd show the key and
associated packets, and then show the exact sequence of bytes which
gets hashed.  I think that would be a big help to implementors.

I agree that this would be a boon to implementors.  Do you want to
volunteer to do this?  :)

Unfortunately once we open the door to including such an example,
there are a lot of other things we might need to show.  The public key
signature operations themselves, signatures on text and binary messages,
encryption and decryption, encrypt+sign, etc.  We could almost use a
separate RFC just with examples as an aid to implementors.

I also agree that a separate "Test Vectors" draft would be the right
place to put it.  It could even be an informational draft instead of a
standards-track draft, but it could still be called something like:
   draft-ietf-openpgp-test-vectors

Hal Finney

Are there any objections from the WG to doing this?  As chair I think
it's a good idea and would welcome a test vectors draft.

Sounds good to me.