Signature calculation problem

2005-08-25 04:25:53

My question is relating in public key signature calculation. Chapter 5.2.4
Computing signatures in the RFC2440 says: When a signature is made over a
key, the hash data starts with the octet 0x99, followed by a two-octet
length of the key, and then the body of the key packet. What about in the
situation when the public key packet length is 256 or smaller in bytes. In
that case the length is only 1 octet and the tag is 0x98. Is the octet
0x98 replaced to 0x99 and one length octet (0x00) is inserted between
packet tag and length octet to form a two-octet length? Am I right in
this?