Re: Plausible deniability (a feature to think about)

2005-09-21 23:27:39

nagydani(_at_)epointsystem(_dot_)org (Daniel A. Nagy) writes:

Now, there exists a cryptographic solution for this problem, moreover,
RFC2440 even hints that it might be implemented in OpenPGP, though I have
never seen it used: X9.42 Diffie-Hellman key agreement (see also RFC2630,
RFC2631 and RFC2633).

X9.42 was only added to S/MIME for political reasons.  AFAIK only one
implementation ever supported it, and that was the USG-funded reference
implementation that was required to support it.  In addition, MS supported a
read-only implementation just so they couldn't be accused of not supporting
it.

(I remember having a conversation with a rather baffled security application
 developer who wanted to see X9.42 in an S/MIME toolkit and just couldn't
 understand that although the spec had it as a MUST requirement, all the
 implementors knew that you should ignore it).

Has anybody ever bothered implementing (or even designing an implementation
of) this in an OpenPGP-friendly manner?

See above.

Peter.