Re: V3 secret keys

2006-02-17 10:21:38

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 12:54:01AM -0800, Jon Callas wrote:

On 16 Feb 2006, at 10:48 AM, David Shaw wrote:

If the language in 1991 is suitable, perhaps we could just point to
1991.  Is it legal to refer in this way to a document that we're
obsoleting in 2440bis?

I don't think so. 1991 was never standards track. I don't want to re-
open the old dead horse of whether you can obsolete something that
was never standards track. It's too much like Alice's comment on more
tea.

Furthermore, it would committing a sin that drives me up the wall, of
requiring someone to go back N documents. If the language in 1991 is
close, then why not edit it into something suitable? I think that's
much better than leaving pointers all over the place for people who
read it a decade from now to have to deal with.

It may be moot - taking a look at 1991 now, it doesn't seem to say
anything about storing V3 secret keys at all!

David