Re: Last minute language nit on clear signing

2006-05-04 17:18:57

On 3 May 2006, at 3:30 PM, David Shaw wrote:

Squeaking in under the wire.

Section 7, Cleartext signature framework says:

    It is desirable to sign a textual octet stream without ASCII
    armoring the stream itself, so the signed text is still readable
    without special software.

Suggest "It is sometimes desirable to sign ..."

(i.e. add a "sometimes".  It's not always desirable to clearsign).

That really is a nit, and one that I disagree with. I will also admit to crotchetiness today.

Saying "X is desirable" does not imply "~X is undesirable." There is a middle ground between, "It's desirable to be able to park at the airport" and "Taxis should be banned." Saying, I like ice cream does not imply that I hate flan. I read that 'graph as saying "Clearsigning, good." That's it.

Here's a counterproposal: "It is desirable to be able to sign..." thus explicitly saying that it's an option. How's that? Better, worse than yours? Or should we just leave it as is?

        Jon