Re: Camellia for OpenPGP

2007-04-30 23:58:05

Rodney,

AES-256 is listed in a NIST recommendation.  It's not marketing,
it's following NIST guidance.

I'm taking about TLS/AES-256, not taking about AES-256. In TLS WG,
they tried to adapt only AES-128 and ignored AES-256. First of all,
they said "AES-256 is too much". I pushed AES-256 to TLS because it
was nice for backup cipher for AES-128 and it was only a chance to
adapt 256-bit cipher to TLS.

They didn't select AES-256 as by NIST recommendation. They didn't
select AES-192 also. They selected AES-256 as "backup for 128bit
cipher".

That is ture story.

At that time, I didn't think that many people use AES-256 because
actually, AES-128 was enough.

Today, in fact, many people use AES-256.  I learn that people tend to
use stronger cipher which is prepared for them because they want to
feel safer. That is a sort of psycological attitude, not technical
attitude.

Not to say that's not debatable but it's not just "marketing" or key
material size obsession.

I'm sorry that I confused you by my English capability.

I meant a term "marketing" that I said is as "to know what people want
to get".  I have thought that we should provide a service for people
by what people want to do, not by engineer's ego.  And I have thought
that we should think something practical.  To implement Camellia-256
is practical thing more than to implement a set of Camellia-128/256. A
set of Camellia-128/256 may be acceptable but a few people will use
Camellia-128 because there are other 128-bit ciphers and it's too late
to list it up.  So, I list only Camellia-256 and I think it is OK for
everyone.

Also, only Camellia-256 is nothing special because only TWOFISH-256 is
listed in OpenPGP cipher.

Regards,

---
Hironobu SUZUKI <hironobu at h2np dot net><hironobu at fsij dot org>
Hironobu SUZUKI Office, Inc. / FSIJ / WCLSCAN / OpenPKSD
Tokyo, Japan.
http://h2np.net