Re: ECC in OpenPGP proposal

2008-03-05 04:10:24

Andrey Jivsov wrote:
My thoughts on MAY were that since this spec is MAY in relation to RFC4880, the explicit MAYs on defined or otherwise referenced algorithms are redundant. If we define a curve and don't list it as SHOULD or MUST, I assumed that it follows that it is MAY.

To me as an implementor I want to see what the defined sets are. Commentary or definition on curves may be all very interesting, but I would want to see the MAY set to understand what the recommendation was. I'd assume other other implementors were also thinking around those MAYs. If the question came up, I'd want the team leader to say "implement only MAYs." She doesn't want them to go beyond the clear compatibility consensus.

The code implementations take on a life of their own ... any signals to reduce confusion and tie the implementations within some distance of a common goal are good. A strong MAY set is clearly something we should do if we are looking for a complete implementation. In code world, nobody much has time to do anything that doesn't lead to a clear business imperative.

As a generalism, the people who implement the code know a little crypto, but not a lot. They can't see very far. They are employed for their good software skills, their ability to turn specs into live code.

What to the crypto / institutional world may be elegence is simply code to these guys. What might be a delicate path through conflicting requirements is a nightmare to the coders, they just don't know what was intended, and have only each other to figure it out.

(Just another reason why agility is a nice idea in the crypto tea room, but not robust in reality.)

iang