Re: Standardisation of User ID usage for Server Purposes

2008-07-26 07:32:52

On Jul 26, 2008, at 12:25 AM, Duane wrote:

David Shaw wrote:

No.  You can define anything you like, in any form you like.
Basically, think of it as being given a chunk of bytes attached to an
OpenPGP key.  You can put anything you want in there, in any format
you want, to be parsed however you want.  You completely own the
format.  OpenPGP then guarantees that your bytes cannot be tampered
with, using the same protection that it uses for regular user ID
strings.

I'm stuck at this point. If I specify to use multiple types I'm not sure
how to easily group the additional information to particular hostnames
or wildcards.

Would anyone have any suggestions at this point in time?

I'm not suggesting you define multiple OpenPGP user attribute packets. Just one. Inside that single blob of bytes, you can break it up however you want. Heck, you can define it as text and use the exact same format you were discussing before if you like.

David