Re: Do we need to secure our keyservers against kind of DoS Attacks

2009-02-01 22:46:36

On Feb 1, 2009, at 9:44 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

Hi John.

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 19:37 -0600, John Clizbe wrote:
sks-devel[AT]nongnu.org

Yaron Minsky did the development work, but doesn't have time for new development
only maintenance.
Thanks for that info :-)

Hmm,.. what are our main keyserver implementations? sks and pks are the only ones I know about...

PKS is dead at this point. It more or less works, but cannot handle keys with more than one subkey, or are uncommon in some ways.

SKS replaces PKS. It speaks the same access protocol as PKS (called "HKP" - it's basically a subset of HTTP, so you can use any handy HTTP software to access a keyserver), so any software written to talk to PKS can talk to SKS without changes.

The other protocols that are commonly used are HTTP (just fetching a regular file on a regular web server), and LDAP. LDAP is particularly well suited for keyservers, as what is a keyserver if not a directory? The PGP folks developed a LDAP schema that both PGP and GPG use when talking to a LDAP server.

There are other ways to store keys. There is even an RFC (4398) for storing OpenPGP keys in DNS.

David