Re: how close is OpenPGP tied to SHA1

2009-02-02 19:55:34

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:38:00 -0500 Ian G <iang(_at_)systemics(_dot_)com> wrote:

Pole Two is "the one true cipher suite."  PGP 2 and so forth.  The

notion here is that you design it well, you design it balanced,
and you
plan on it lasting at least 10 years.  If not 20 or 30.  Then, you
throw
the whole lot out in 10 years.

For my money, Pole Two delivers much more bang for buck.  There
has
never been in modern history a complete collapse of a well-
designed
suite.

well,
be ready to say goodbye to pgp 2  ;-(

it won't work on 64 bit systems
(even Disastry's last version,
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/disastry/263multi.htm
where he compiled 3 different versions, one of which was a 32 bit
version,
but doesn't work on 32 bit system
(not on windows anyway,
if anyone can get it to work on linux, please post, thanx)

the 16 bit version works on a 32 bit system,
but the 32 bit does not work on 64 or even 32 bit windows systems

(unless anyone wants to take a look at Disastry's 32 bit version of
pgp.exe and suggest a patch ...)

otherwise,
i would say that there is a place for 'both' poles,
and while many users would like to be able to use both of them,
it may be too much to try to maintain backward capability with
older systems that aren't being updated anymore

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Earn your accounting degree online. Free info. Click Now!

http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/PnY6qxsY9yVITQjiDrgd0TQAhLD9BFnjlvPfUmZM9WuUPShOGKlmz/