Re: "newbie" questions: GPG a.k.a. GnuPG versus PGP corporation's products ... ; et cetera

2009-02-02 21:13:07

Jon,

I regret that you took the nature of my question as an insult.  None, per se,
was intended.

My first question imho is fair.  This forum consists of the meta experts likely
best suited
to answer that question.

In no way am I talking about individuals when I ask about PGP Corporation.
I'm guessing that PGP Corporation may be a good place to be and that you
work for them.  I was semi-correct about you ... from
http://www.merrymeet.com/jon/
I see that you used to work for PGP Corporation.  Of course, your page reads
"Last Updated: 8 April 2001" so perhaps you're back with PGP Corporation.
[BTW, http://www.merrymeet.com/jon/FGuru.JPG shows a very chilled you.]

OTOH, that corporations can be psychopathic is well documented.

E.g.:  http://www.thecorporation.com/
         http://www.thecorporation.com/index.cfm?page_id=2
         Above is a film based on this book:
         "The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power",
         Free Press (February 2004), ISBN-10: 0743247442, ISBN-13:
978-0743247443

         from
http://www.penguin.ca/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780140290042,00.html :
         "Joel Bakan's new book is a brilliantly argued account of the
         corporation's pathological pursuit of profit and power. An eminent law
professor
         and legal theorist, Bakan contends that the corporation is created by
law to function
         much like a psychopathic personality whose destructive behavior, if
left unchecked,
         leads to scandal and ruin."

We've recently seen the horror corporations have brought about to the economy
of the entire planet.  Of course, a few humans were complicit too.

So, even if today some corporation is 100% altruistic, a change in its
governance
can turn it into a demon overnight.  Example:  search "Google layoffs".  Google
was that company that brought in a chef for its staff in the early days.

I, myself, have had my corporate loyalty rewarded more than once with a
kick in the groin.

So "making a living" does not necessarily make an individual corrupt
although this is not always the case.  There are some alledged/convicted
"bad apples" that come to mind (Bernard Madoff, Ken Lay, Bernard Ebbers,
Jeffrey Skilling, et al).

Jon, *I* write code and consult, et cetera, although presently I can
not call it a living.  Unfortunately, most of my eggs were in one basket
whose market sector is trucking.  Consultants are usually the first to
be shown the door.  While a few of my customers may disagree,
I've never had to stop cheating *them* because I've never started.
Not even the few that actually deserve to be cheated.

I envy you that you "love it" and also "happen to be good enough at it
to also make a living".

Before you make judgements about my personal morals, I suggest
that you get to know me.

Jon, as I said I'm a newbie ... I'm not here to trash anyone.
Thank you for sharing answers to my questions also.

Happy levitating!

Regards,
Gerry (Lowry)