Re: New results against SHA-1

2009-05-04 14:05:23

On Mon,  4 May 2009 17:32, dkg(_at_)fifthhorseman(_dot_)net said:
current fingerprint would be re-written as:

 SHA1-0EE5BE979282D80B9F7540F1CCD2ED94D21739E9

Using a number (2) and, say, a dot as a prefix would be a better choice.
We use algorithnm numbers anyway and OpenPGP users are used tp spell a
large row of hex digits; we would only confuse them with an S and an H..

 e) allow injection of arbitrary key material at the head of signatures
to allow signers to to avoid a chosen-prefix attack?  This would make it
significantly more difficult to predict the hash that someone will sign,

and gives more bandwidth for a subliminal channel...

 f) explicit introduction of new hashes/ciphers/asymmetric algorithms?

We should defer such a discussion until there are semi final results
from the SHA-3 contest.

I've probably missed something.  What else should be addressed?  What
steps are necessary to get the WG back in order again?  Or is that not

Right, we should re-establish the WG to no rely on I-Ds by individuals.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner