Re: SERPENT in OpenPGP?

2010-08-27 06:52:48

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:37, calestyo(_at_)scientia(_dot_)net said:

Ok all true,.. but again,.. as far as I understand the system...
preferences and the least required algorithms should solve all this.
Even for those implementations of OpenPGP which don't support the
bleeding-edge.

This is true as long as you use the same implementaion.  As soon as you
switch your computing environment things get complicated.  Maybe you
decide to continue work on a mainframe and over there you don't have an
implementation of Twofish - you would need to re-encrypt all your mails
and documents to one of the MUST algorithms.  I know folks insisting on
IDEA because they don't wont to re-encrypt their PGP 2 created data.

And I don't mean (of course) the semantics behind our PKI (which I
consider far superior to the X509 PKI), but also the technical stuff like

Just for the records: OpenPGP does not define or require a PKI - for a
good reason.  There are mereley features in the protocol which allow to
build all kinds of infrastructure on top of it.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner