Re: [openpgp] OpenPGPv5 wish list

2013-04-29 12:59:47
Moving over to openpgp(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org from gnupg-devel.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> wrote:
I don't want the whole X.509 mess introduced in a protocol we tried to
keep clean for real use.
Well actually the contrary seems to be the case... OpenPGP is rather
only used for mail and plain file encryption/signing, which covers of
course already many fields, but nothing advanced.
It would never have any chance to be used for government ID cards, or
similar projects.

Please read 5.11:
There is nothing which enforces how you represet the name, you may put
arbitrary data into the UID.  However, it is common to use a mail
address and thus GnuPG (by default) checks for that.
Yeah I knew... but right now it's also used for the name of the user,
which is the primary identification property... and it shouldn't be
used for that (from a design POV).

Why should we change somthing which has not shown problems in the
past.  If you want X.509, use X.509 for example with gpgsm.
Obviously I don't want X.509 or I'd use it.
And I don't see how this is touched by X.509 anyway.
Of course there showed never problems up with the critical flag,
simply as no-one uses it... yeah I know, gpg understands it... but one
cannot even set it, can one?

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Hauke Laging