Re: [openpgp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-wouters-dane-openpgp-00.txt (fwd)

2013-07-15 18:20:37
A few quick comments follow.

1.
Currently deployed key servers have no method of validating any
   uploaded OpenPGP public key.  The key servers simply store and
   publish.  Anyone can add public keys with any name or email address
   and anyone can add signatures to any other public key using forged
   malicious identities.  For example, bogus keys of prominent
   dissidents have been uploaded to these well-known key servers in
   attempts to capture encrypted email.  Furthermore, once uploaded,
   public keys cannot be deleted.  People who did not pre-sign a key
   revocation and who have lost access to their private key can never
   remove their public key from these key servers.

This ignores prior work in this area. https://keyserver.pgp.com is known to solve exactly the problems you described for many years now.

2. Given that the size of the record is very important when stored in DNS records, it's odd to see that ECC OpenPGP keys are not even mentioned. In fact, given that we are talking about a new format here, one can see many benefits of standardizing *only* on ECC keys or at least preferring/encouraging ECC keys.

I think you raise a valid concern that keys placed in DNS records should be "cleaned". A 4096 bit RSA key with 10 subkeys and 3d party signatures seems excessive.

I planned to introduce the compact key format http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jivsov-ecc-compact soon to OpenPGP. This might be a mandatory tweak to further minimize the size for ECC keys when stored in DNS records.

3. I suspect that "4.6. Subject: line encryption" is prone to bugs for complex messages with multiple MIME parts. It probably needs more work to be acceptable.