Re: [openpgp] Draft review: Algebraic Eraser keys in OpenPGP

2014-09-09 14:22:06
Hi,

On Tue, September 9, 2014 3:08 pm, Dominik Schuermann wrote:
Hi,

does AEKAP really qualify to be chosen as an extension to OpenPGP? The
outcome of my short literature research shows that there are just a very
small group of mathematicians working on the theoretic backgrounds for
these kind of braid based crypto. Funnily, I had a short introduction by
a mathematics professor some semesters ago, but it sounded far away from
practical secure implementations. Here are some papers linked:
http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/cryptography/2012-May/002898.html

I don't want to sound offensive, just wondering why you chose to write a
draft about this.

No offence taken, but we do have a practical, secure implementation.  (Of
course it all depends on your definition of "practical" and "secure").
I'm writing a draft because I have an actual deployment of AEKAP and want
to be able to use the OpenPGP format to ship around AEKAP keys.

As for qualification, we (meaning the OpenPGP WG) have never really turned
away a request to add a new cipher in the past so long as someone actually
wanted to use it.  I actually want to use it :)

I'll also point out that the analysis on the cryptography list is someone
inaccurate..  There are multiple braid group problems, and indeed the
single conjugacy search problem is easily solvable, however AEKAP is based
on the simultaneous conjugacy search problem, which has not been shown to
be solvable in polynomial time.

Thanks,

Regards
Dominik