Re: [openpgp] How to re-launch the OpenPGP WG

2015-03-13 14:51:27
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>
wrote:
Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> writes:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 04:52, calestyo(_at_)scientia(_dot_)net said:

1) More general things
- The WG should consider whether to just bring OpenPGP up to date... or
  whether to completely overhaul or even re-design it.

The please give the thing another name.  Recall the outcry whn I removed
PGP-2 support from 2.1.

- The basic meshed web of trust must obviously be retained, but apart

OpenPGP does not define the Web of Trust.  There is no standard for it.

This was explicitly out of scope from the former OpenPGP WG.  I think
that was a GOOD THING, and I believe it should remain out of scope.
IMHO we shouldn't define how OpenPGP is used, only what it inputs and
outputs.

I'm interested in certain aspects of Webs of Trust, such as their
potential to overcome certain problematic aspects of centralized
Certificate Authorities. If this new OpenPGP WG won't be a suitable
place to discuss such possibilities, then what will be?

Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Then again, I could be wrong."