Re: [openpgp] Hybrid proposal for algorithm identifiers

2015-03-30 06:09:07

On Mar 24, 2015, at 6:51 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer
<calestyo(_at_)scientia(_dot_)net> wrote:

On Tue, 2015-03-24 at 23:17 +0000, ianG wrote:
On the left,
there are the pluralists
So pluralists are left-wing?! ;-P

Seriously, being one of the "pluralists", let me perhaps clarify this a
bit:

I don't think that the standard should necessarily standardise 20 alogs
for each type and make 10 of them mandatory.

- It should be rather simple to change the mandatory algos in the
 standard.
 I mean we still list 3DES, while in reality it's probably AES.

We should separate out the question of backwards compatibility support…

* One mandatory to implement
* One strongly recommended backup
* Additional algorithms that have been found to be necessary in practice for
legacy interop, preferably with ‘best before’ dates.

Decryption support is likely to be required for much longer than encryption.