Re: [openpgp] Mailing lists

2015-07-18 21:29:06
I don't think this is a good time to do mailing lists in OpenPGP. A mailing
list is essentially a form of multi-access drop box. There is a list of
people who can write to the drop box and a list of people who can read.

The only thing that distinguishes a mailing list from a drop box is the way
the data is organized. But I think it much easier to organize the contents
of a shared drop box to be a mailing list than to try to do anything on top
of SMTP, let alone add security. The OpenPGP bit is fine, its the SMTP bit
that is the problem.

There are two basic ways a dropbox type scheme can be made to work with
standard public key

* There is a shared public key and everyone knows the private key. This is
changed each time a person drops off the list.

* Each person has an individual public key pair and the mailing list is
encrypted and sent out to each of them.