Re: [openpgp] Followup on fingerprints

2015-07-29 03:40:33
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:52, phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com said:

* Contact some usability types to ask about usability and changing up the
block sizes.

OpenPGP does not specify a user interface but the wire format.
Obviously we use the most compact format there which is the plain binary
format.  The questions are

  - Do we need to explicity indicate the fingerprinting scheme (SHA-1 or
    SHA-256, or whatever) in the binary represenation.

  - Do we need truncation and how do we indicate a fingerprint scheme
    then given that it can't be deduced from the length.

  - Should we bind a certain fingerprint scheme to a public key packet
    versions as we did in the past (v3 = MD5, v4 = SHA1, maybe v5 =
    SHA256 with keyid being the leftmost octets).  Or is it okay to
    allow for multipe fingerprint schemes for the same key.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner