[openpgp] SHA3 is standardised as FIPS 202

2015-08-06 13:53:04
It looks like SHA3 is now out as FIPS 202.

http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/FIPS/NIST.FIPS.202.pdf

I think.

Now, SHA3 or Keccak as it was better known, is built using the sponge construction idea. Included in the design are a couple of XOFs or extendable output functions called SHAKE128 and SHAKE256.

I think these XOFs can be used as encryption algorithms in XOR-stream mode.

Which brings us to a point worth thinking about. For a future OpenPGP release, we could use SHA3 for both the hash algorithm and the stream cipher. Etc. (There are supposed to be modes that you can do for authenticated encryption as well.)

Which then gives us the opportunity to have ONE algorithm provide a much larger space of our needs. If we the SHA3 engine were to form the basis of all the symmetric needs, then this would provide for a minimal implementation with less code and less complexity.

E.g., we could simply set the Mandatory to Implement (MTI) algorthm to the SHA3 family.

Worthwhile? I'm not saying this will work - I'm just holding out the thought experiment that we could substantially ease the burden on developers and implementers if we could simplify the set down to one common family.

iang