Re: [openpgp] Regulation of algo deprecation

2015-11-03 18:00:28
Hi,

Sorry due to time constraints I wasn't able to remotely participate in
the OpenPGP session. I've read the minutes, not sure if I got everything
from that though.

So my impression is that GnuPG / OpenPGP current support far to many
possible algorithm choices. We should really limit that. For novice
users it's not easy to get this right and there're only a few places on
the internet that provide a solid default config (e.g. riseup - though
I've modified their settings for personal use). The real problem with
PGP is that not a lot of people use it and adding tons of curves or
algorithms doesn't seem the right way to go. Maybe this has already been
discussed previously and I didn't notice - if so, I'd be happy for a
pointer to the relevant thread.

CFRG recently recommended Curve25519 (or whatever nomenclature is
currently en vouge), so why bother with Brainpool at all?

Aaron