Re: [openpgp] time representation in OpenPGP

2016-07-03 11:53:29
On 07/03/2016 06:49 PM, brian m. carlson wrote:
On Sun, Jul 03, 2016 at 03:57:31PM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
On 07/03/2016 03:48 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
I suggest we use ASN1 generalized time (which has only a couple of
bytes overhead) or ISO 8601 profiled to be like the ASN1 format:
YYYY-MM-DD-HH:MM:SS.sss with fraction optional.

ASN1 sounds complex in this case, some form of ISO8601 variant might be
helpful.

Alternatively expanding the size of the value from 32 bits to 64 bits
might be easier to deal with for backwards compatibility reasons.

I'd strongly recommend simply using a 64-bit (signed?) integer.  It's

current is 32 bit unsigned, so it'd be unsigned still

compact, avoids time zones (which are a source of bugs), and is the

This could be countered by specifying always using UTC, but I agree the
parsing is more complex than a simple time epoch without any obvious
benefits.

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand