Re: [openpgp] V5 Fingerprint again

2017-03-02 04:33:57
On 03/02/2017 01:12 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
Because the SHA3 competition showed us that SHA2 is a good hash...  and
SHA2 is much faster than SHA3.

Not being a cryptographer I can't tell much about SHA2's security, but I
was told even if there is no flaw found at the moment in SHA2 the
construction it is based on (Merkle-Damgard) is the same as for MD5 and
SHA1 and has started to show some weaknesses, while SHA3 is based on the
sponge construction, which may be more secure.

As for the speed, if I read [1] correctly (which, granted, isn't a
given), SHA2 isn't "much faster" than SHA3, as keccak512 is faster than
sha256 while keccak1024 is slower than sha512 (for equivalent security).

[1] https://bench.cr.yp.to/results-sha3.html