Re: [openpgp] V5 Fingerprint again

2017-03-02 07:31:12
Interesting. How do you envision handling an updated selfsig (e.g. to move
the expiration date forward) with a stronger hash than before?
To me, this seems like the most obvious upgrade path (i.e. a way for users
to force moving to a stronger hash), but when taken literally we've just
retroactively revoked all previous signatures.

I don't think this works as an upgrade path really. Both for the reason
you mention, and also because packets can be suppressed. The best we can
probably do here is try and not allow worse than the weakest link.

One could have a gnuk or yubikey generate the key, and if the user agent
*defaults* to sha1 (regardless of whether or not it can support stronger
hashes) you'll have triggered this scenario.

Seems like a good outcome if this type of misconfiguration is punished.

 - V