Re: [openpgp] Summary v5 fingerprint proposal

2017-03-23 06:18:16
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> wrote:
Hi!

I try to summarize the positions on the v5 fingerprint porposal:

In favor of SHA-512 truncated to 200 bits:

  - Thijs: Not a strong preference, though.

  - Jon: Speed of fingerprint computing doesn't matter.  SHA-512 is more
         future proof.

In favor of SHA-256 truncated to 200 bits:

  - Vincent: Even wants to truncate to 160 bits.

  - Derek: Better for small systems.  He gave numbers and showed that
           for fingerprints SHA-256 is even faster on systems where
           SHA-512 is in general faster.

  - Peter Gutmann: Better for small systems.

  - Werner: Allows SHA-256 only implementation to support IoST systems.

Other comments:

  - Jon: Use SHA-512/t to have a well defined truncation scheme.

  - Peter Todd: Do not truncated because the saving is not worth using a
                non-standard scheme.

  - Brian: Use SHAKE128 or 256, will be needed anyway if we add
           Curve448.

  - Werner: Using SHA-512 would allow compliant applications in case
            Ed25519 would be a mandatory algorithm.

I'd add this one:

any time a spec does something non-standard it is a lightening rod for
criticism and FUD.  Even if there are good and rational reasons for
doing something else, I'd advocate using a standard hash without
truncating for that reason.

Nicholas