Re: [openpgp] v5 Secret-Key Packet Formats

2018-01-12 10:30:24
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:22, tom(_at_)ritter(_dot_)vg said:

Would this be adding a new mode that would have to be implemented?
That is in addition to adding chunked AEAD we're now also adding
non-chunked AEAD?

No.  Like the current CFB mode, AEAD will be used at 3 places:

 1. Bulk data encryption

 2. Encryption used by the secret-key session key packet (which makes it
    possible to encrypt to several passphrases)

 3. Encryption of the secret key.

My claim is that the chunked mode is only used for 1.  For 2 and 3 we
can avoid any chunked mode and thus do not need to assume a certain
chunk size.

Sure, we could also keep on using CFB for 2 and 3 but that would require
a minimalist implementation to implement CFB and AEAD(EAX).

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner