Re: [openpgp] Clarify status of subkeys with certification use

2018-05-25 10:17:46
On 05/25/2018 11:59 AM, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
Hi Kristian,

Hi Neal and Justus,

Justus and I have been thinking about how to realize per-device keys
and approximate forward secrecy.  These two things are related: if we
want devices to do their own key rotation (and I think this is
sensible, as the alternative is to somehow regularly transfer secret
key material to each device), then the devices need to be able to
generate self-signatures.  Since we don't want all devices to have
access to the primary key, each device could have its own
certification subkey.

Wouldn't you anyways break the per-device nature if using this
certification subkey to sign a third party keyblock, and the loss of one
of the devices impacted your validity calculation across the ecosystem?

Using this in such a per-device nature also seems to require rather
special attention from the user/client, I could easily imagine ending up
with a web of cross-signatures across multiple devices here.