Re: [openpgp] Overhauling User IDs / Standardizing User Attributes (was: Re: Scoped trust (signatures))

2018-06-26 14:14:05
Hi Leo,

> Are there really no opinions on this idea of decoupling names and email
> addresses through standardization of more User Attributes and removal of
> User ID packets in v5 keys? Not having any feedback from any software
> maintainer makes me wary of starting to write a patch for 4880bis right now.

Standarization and implementation of new User Attributes would take ages, and the existing User IDs are just good enough.

>> When I want to sign someone's User ID, I need to both check their
>> real-life name (with eg. a state-provided ID) and their e-mail address.
>> And if someone has put a pseudonym on the User ID, should I sign it?

That depends on your personal key-signing policy. I - for example - don't sign User IDs with comments (because I can't or don't want to verify if your role is "super administrator" or nickname is "XYZ").

>> This tight coupling of name and email address in User IDs is already an
>> issue for me (in choosing what User ID(s) I should put, choosing whether
>> to sign a User ID I only know part of…), and is now again an issue in
>> fixing the standard to be both more simple and more usable.

You can create User ID without e-mail, actually a lot of people do just that. And then add one more with e-mail, works just fine.

>> So here is my idea: drop User IDs in v5 keys, and standardize more User
>> Attributes. In particular, standardize at least a “name”, an “email” and
>> a “pseudonym” user attribute. (I'm not sure about the “comment” user
>> attribute, and would prefer seeing it handled otherwise, see the
>> “Possible extensions” section)

And how is that different from what we have in User ID? It's still up to the signer if they want to sign "pseudonym" user attribute or not. You just gain marginal benefit of having "name", "email" and "pseudonym" parts separated for a big effort in supporting this new scheme.

Actually I was also thinking on using User Attributes at one time (for Linked IDs) but luckily the idea was shot on this ML. User IDs are better because they have a fallback already - a human can read the string just fine, not be confused by "[unknown attribute of size 83]" (check my key).

For extensibility - notations - they are also human readable and can be made critical for special purposes.

Sorry if this sounds negative.

Have a nice day!

Kind regards,
Wiktor