Re: [openpgp] IND-CPA security of OpenPGP's ElGamal implementation

2018-12-09 02:55:18
At 08.12.18 / 16:16 Roger Ellenberger wrote:

According literature one need to map $m$ into $G_q$ to guarantee that
ElGamal ist IND-CPA secure. According the RFC this check is not
performed, but an encoding/padding is applied to the plaintext.

I stumble upon the same problem [1] when creating DKGPG some months ago. In my oppinion it cannot be solved without revising ElGamal in the RFC. Maybe the work of Sakurai and Shizuya [2] can help to understand some implications of the RFC authors choice at that time.

[1] slide #17 of https://www.nongnu.org/libtmcg/dg81_slides.pdf
[2] https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/3-540-49264-X_28.pdf

Best regards,
Heiko.