Re: [openpgp] Deprecating compression support

2019-03-18 08:24:11
Hi Justus,

Thanks for bringing this up.

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 13:07:21 +0100,
Justus Winter wrote:
I propose to deprecate compression support in OpenPGP.
I realize that we cannot suddenly drop decompression support, but I
would suggest to stop emitting compressed data packets.  If this
proposal gathers traction, I would be happy to suggest a change to the
standard.

I propose that we change the standard to say:

  - Compliant implementations MUST NOT emit compressed data packets.

  - For backwards compatibility, compliant implementations MAY
    decompress compressed data packets.

Obviously, we should deprecate the "Preferred Compression Algorithms"
subpacket as well.

Note: removing compression support was one of the original goals: