[openpgp] WTF (Re: AEAD Chunk Size)

2019-03-18 16:54:05
Hi,

You know I would love to follow all discussions here but this thread feels
somehow like a denial of service attack. I can't get though it.

I need a tl;dr; here. Honestly. Today I saw replies in three different branches
of this thread and I think it just got out of hand.

My tl;dr; is (and I'm sure you'all will correct me if I'm wrong):

1. The AEAD chunk size in the current proposal is too variable.
2. Neal proposed using a fixed chunk size.
2.3. Some people had points that spoke against it.
3. There was a compromise offered with a smaller "variable chunk size".

Then you wen't off the rails and repeatedly talked by and around each other and
off topic. Here is where you lost me. This thread now has some epic (rambling)
proportions.

Can we somehow get some clear "votable" proposals out of this thread?
I mean really. This stuff does not have to be so complicated as you make it
out?! Just write in as few (that is a _good_ thing) words as possible what
your proposal ist now. Maybe we could then vote on it or something like that?
"Chunk size should be between 512byte and 128MiB" does not sound so
complicated to me.

I mean I really do not want to disrespect your efforts but I think there is
valuable time of OpenPGP implementors wasted in this thread repeating
themselfs and I really want to move forward with 4880bis

Best Regards,
Andre

--
GnuPG.com - a brand of g10 Code, the GnuPG experts.

g10 Code GmbH, Erkrath/Germany, AG Wuppertal HRB14459
GF Werner Koch, USt-Id DE215605608, www.g10code.com.

GnuPG e.V., Rochusstr. 44, D-40479 Düsseldorf.  VR 11482 Düsseldorf
Vorstand: W.Koch, M.Gollowitzer, A.Heinecke.    Mail: board(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org
Finanzamt D-Altstadt, St-Nr: 103/5923/1779.   Tel: +49-2104-4938799