Re: [openpgp] email death certificates

2019-08-28 01:28:42

On Aug 27, 2019, at 5:29 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>
wrote:

Jon Callas <joncallas(_at_)icloud(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Aug 23, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)(_dot_)ca> wrote:

Has anyone given any thought to this?

I suppose it might also apply to "does not work here anymore"

Yes, as others have said, designated revokers and reason-for-revocation
are part of this, as would be even human-readable notations.

In PGP, we had key-splitting and those one could with that product
key-split a revoker key. It was an obvious use case for us, even.

The designated revoker seems to require advance planning, as does the
key-splitting.   People rarely do advance planing on accidential death, nor
on getting fired.

You are, of course correct.

The same issue applies to wills and inheritance, and I'm not sure there's a
better solution, at least not until we get time machines. Then if you die, you
can go back in time to when you were alive and set everything up then. Or so it
says in the manual.

        Jon