Re: [openpgp] Shared OpenPGP keys for use in test corpuses

2019-10-18 08:01:07
On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 3:51 AM Bjarni Runar Einarsson
<bre(_at_)mailpile(_dot_)is>
wrote:

Hello!

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com> wrote:
If the generate key from specified seed work goes ahead, we get
this for free.

It is one of the things that made me propose this idea back in
September :-)

You're working with a very flawed definition of the concept
"free". Sure, if all implementations everywhere add the same
fancy feature, we can use that feature for "free" from that point
in time onwards. Well, free aside from maintenance and bugfix
costs... But getting there is expensive and I don't actually see
consensus that we're moving in that direction. I'm not a fan, but
I'll refrain from derailing this thread to pontificate on why.

Saying that you have technical objections which you will not reveal is
incredibly rude. Either state your objections so they can be responded to
or don't state them at all.

I proposed this idea September 28. I expect writing the draft and shipping
code to take no more than a day. So I don't see a problem with
implementation complexity. Nor do I see a need for this to be widely
implemented to address an issue that only affects developers.

The issue of test data for specifications is something that we should
probably address using a mechanism other than the ID series. Documents
should have illustrative examples. Test vectors are really something else.
Its like the supporting data now required for certain types of academic
paper.

The model I think we need here is to have an interop event in which
implementations demonstrate that they can generate and consume a particular
corpus. And then publish a report on that interop event with the names of
the tested implementations and the results.